Marshall Installation Engineer
NATS is a leading air navigation services specialist, handling 2.2 million flights in 2013/14,
covering the UK and eastern North Atlantic. NATS provides air traffic control from centres at
Swanwick, Hampshire and Prestwick, Ayrshire. NATS also provides air traffic control services
at 15 UK airports including Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted, Birmingham, Manchester,
Edinburgh and Glasgow; at Gibraltar Airport and, in a joint venture with Ferrovial, at a
number of airport towers in Spain. Building on its reputation for operational excellence and
innovation, NATS also offers aerodrome, data, engineering and consultancy solutions to
customers worldwide, including airports, air traffic service providers and Governments.
NATS, in partnership with Thales, has been awarded the Project MARSHALL contract from the
Ministry of Defence (MOD). This involves the delivery of a comprehensive set of Air Traffic
Management (ATM) systems across approximately 100 Ministry of Defence airfields and
service delivery sites in the UK and several overseas locations.
PURPOSE OF THE RADIO COMMUNICATIONS ENGINEER
Responsible for all the onsite ATC UHF and VHF radio communication system installation,
commissioning and acceptance activities delivered within the airfield transmitter and
receiver sites, throughout the asset replacement phase of the Project MARSHALL contract
(2015 to 2021).
1. As the site focal point for all site activity, plan, manage and execute all installation,
commissioning and acceptance activities ensuring these are delivered to the
required timescale and quality to ensure any potential risk to the customer ATC
operation is mitigated as far as possible
2. From the site survey and any further site liaison visits, document the proposed
detailed radio installation and transition plan for that site and communicate this
effectively to the customer and NATS supply chain.
3. Lead and assist in the ATC communication system installation and acceptance test
4. Use of extensive Radio Communications equipment experience to investigate and
problem solve any issues that arise through the onsite installation and
5. Produce and update all communication system as built drawings, installation
schedules and commissioning/acceptance results to the required NATS and
6. Closely liaise with the customer, project office, Military Aviation Authority and
installation/acceptance team colleagues to arrange existing communication system
outages and provide general progress reports to ensure all are aware of the current
1. The post holder is required to plan and deliver the installation, commissioning and
acceptance of ATC radio communication systems.
2. The post holder will contribute to the successful transition of new ATC radio
communication equipment into operational service at each radio site in addition to
his/her systems engineer and installation technician colleagues.
3. The post holder will need to be able to work as part of a team or unsupervised using
their own initiative.
4. Due to the nature of the Project MARSHALL new ATC radio communication
equipment rollout strategy across many MOD sites, flexibility to work outside of
normal working hours (nights and weekends) and able to consistently work away
from home (in the UK and overseas) each week is essential.
5. The post holder may on occasion be required to deliver structured maintainer
training for the new ATC communication systems and this will be delivered in
accordance with NATS procedures.
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.