Principal Software Engineer - JAVA Developer
Main Purpose of the Job
The role covers two main areas:
- The design, development and maintenance of robust software for market leading cooled thermal imaging cores based upon a bespoke Android hardware platform.
- This role includes the design and development of Android software to control external devices to meet specific customer system requirements.
- The design, development and maintenance of in-house test software. The candidate will be expected to develop software to interface with custom-built hardware to control both test equipment and test our range of detector products.
To develop software concepts to specifications working with product design authorities and customers.
- To plan software development tasks
- To develop modular, reusable and testable code.
- To develop software to specification, cost and timescale estimates
- To complete software verification tasks
- To release and document software
- To work to design process and procedures
- To work with hardware engineers to debug and integrate software
- To work with suppliers of Android platform at a Kernel level.
Key Skills and Experience
- Recognised 2.1. Degree or higher in Software Eng., Physics or Electronic Eng.
- Experienced Java developer, ideally with experience of another language, e.g. C/C++
- Experienced in writing multi-threaded applications.
- Experienced in making Linux kernel device tree modifications.
- Experience of using version control systems, such as Git.
- Ability to apply software engineering best practices throughout the development lifecycle
- Evidence of good organisation, planning and execution of work
- Ability to work closely in a team with other engineering and science disciplines
- Effective communicator with attention to detail and a flexible approach.
- Experience of working with customers to develop requirements into technical definitions and specifications
- Certified qualifications in Software Development
- Experience of writing unit tests
- Knowledge of OpenGL / real time image processing
- Experienced in writing software to communicate with peripheral hardware devices
- Experience of other languages
- Experience of using development environments, such as Android Studio
- Experience of developing software in a product development environment
- Knowledge of micro-electronics
- Hands-on laboratory test and measurement experience
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.