The Gill Electric Company was founded by Mr. Lawrence Gill in 1920, in Redlands, California, where the factory remains today. At that time, Gill Electric was manufacturing lead-acid batteries for the automotive industry. During the war years, Gill manufactured batteries for military ground vehicles and aircraft; some of these batteries are still in production today.
Gill Electric improved the drycharged process which provides a fresh charged product when the electrolyte is added. Gill has become the OEM "original equipment battery" for Raytheon, Cessna, LearJet, Mooney, Piper, Ayres, Airtractor, Maule, Schweizer and others in the aviation industry and Gill continues to be the industry's choice for quality battery products.
Teledyne Industries acquired the Gill Electric Company in 1966 and continued producing high-quality batteries.